Monday, September 4, 2017

Thank You Teachers

It's the eve of the First Day of School, and my 10 year old daughter couldn't be more excited. Yes, she's excited to see her friends and to play at recess.  She's excited to wear her new outfit and use her new supplies.  But mostly she is excited for what a new school year stands for: possibility. And I have you, her teachers to thank for that.

Nessa has learned that school can be hard - she will be challenged by her teachers and her peers to outgrow herself in every way imaginable. But, she knows that through the challenges, she will come out better.  More refined.  Smarter and more compassionate.  And I have you, her teachers to thank for that.

She started school at three years old, barely able to remember her last name.  Now she writes persuasive essays to the neighbors about homelessness and animal rights.  She had her ABCs memorized (the younger ones who follow will not - you've been warned), and now she is reading beautifully written historical fiction that teaches of struggle and triumph.  And I have you, her teachers to thank for that.

She is memorizing multiplication and division facts, and while there is something about math that give her hesitation, she powers through.  She sets goals.  She works hard.  And I have you, her teachers to thank for that.

Thursday, we will send Nessa's sister Lainey to 4K.  She will enter the school system for the first time.  With Nessa, I was nervous - hesitant to let her go outside of our safe little bubble.  But with Lainey, we are excited.  We know she will be loved.  And Lainey is excited, too, because thanks to her big sister, she knows no other way to think about school.  And I have you, her teachers to thank for that.

To Mrs. Mares and Mrs. Krueger - this years' teachers:

Thank for for what I know you are about to do.  All summer, you have been with your kids.  Three months of stay-at-home mom life balanced with a bunch of professional reading and training.  But, still, you have had three months where your own kids have been front and center.  And this week, you are about to make my kids yours.

You will think about my kid during Packers games.  You will pray for her at church.  You will make plans for her and design lessons that are engaging yet challenging.  You will tell yourself that you are "taking the weekend off," but you won't.  I know this because I know your hearts.  You will feel guilty for telling your own kids, "I'll be there in a minute" but it will really be more like 20 because you're answering my email question about the field trip form I never returned.

You will give so much of yourselves to my kids.  So much so that my kids will become your kids, just like all of the teachers who have come before you.

And for this, I thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment