Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Writing

So, a big part of my life is spent teaching kids how to write. Teaching them to write with authority and voice, style, and skill. Teaching them that their words matter. You can imagine my excitement when Annessa "wrote" her first words last night.

As a matter of fact, I don't know which I was more excited about: Annessa's first SPOKEN word or her first WRITTEN word.

Here's how it went down:

A: Mama, I write (takes the marker that is laying on the counter and grips it with her fingers)
Me: Okay, what are you going to write? A story?
A: fabet (alphabet) A....B....C... (making distinct lines for each letter)
Me: holding my breath
A: Mama....Daddy....(making more lines)
Me: Wow, that is so smart of you! You're writing letters and words. Should we write some more? How about Gus?
A: I all done (drops the marker and trots off to her toy box)

1 comment:

  1. Awwwhhh! The moment your little Annessa was born into your life, there are milestones that that have brought you (us) all the joy our hearts can hold and yet at the same time we have to constantly learn to let go.....Love you guys! This is a beautiful gift you will have to give your daughter Autumn! - Aunty Shannon

    ReplyDelete