Thursday, August 7, 2014

Lost Teeth

Annessa has been on a tooth losing spree.  She loses her teeth in two ways: first out of her mouth, and then she literally loses them.  She talks to them and carries them with her the day that they fall out, knowing that tomorrow, the Tooth Fairy will come and whisk them away forever.

Freakin' Tooth Fairy.

So far, out of the four that have fallen out, two have made it into the Tooth Fairy's hands.  Never mind that I have know idea what I, the Tooth Fairy, am supposed to do with these two teeth.  It seems a little….morbid?….to keep a box of tiny teeth hidden away somewhere.  And what if she find this box? Then everything will unravel -- the Tooth Fairy, then Santa, the Easter Bunny, Elf on the Stupid Shelf, leprechauns….

So, what did I do with these two remaining teeth?  I (gasp) Threw. Them. Away.  It's tough love people.

But, with each tooth that falls out, I can't help but think, "Here's another piece of childhood.  Gone.  You better get your shit together."

She will be in first grade in a month.  Kids remember stuff from first grade.  Childhood (in their minds) starts somewhere around 1stish grade.  And all I can think of is that it is halfway over already.

In another seven years, she will be a teenager.  We have seven years left to shape her childhood.  I want her to remember a house full of love and fun.  Expectations, of course, but love and fun.

So that means I need to get my shit together.  I need to plan fun trips, traditions, playdates…..Wait.  No.

I need to get my shit together in a different way.  Pancake mornings, smartphone-free days, walks in the woods, popcorn in bed.  I need to resist the urge to feel pressured and hurried and over-booked.  I need to breath her in every day.  I need to honor the girl that she is and nurture the one she is becoming.

Because before I know it, all of these tiny teeth will be replaced by big, akward-looking jaggity ones.  Then, my job will be to help her smooth out the jaggity ones during adolescent years.  Childhood will be a thing of the past, and middle school will be upon us.

I think I will crawl back in bed and snuggle her awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment