Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wedding Dresses, Husbands, and Work

An entry I found saved as a "draft" from a few months ago….

Today I watched my youngest sister-in-law try on her wedding dress.  She was gorgeous and beaming in bridal beauty.  We fussed over the details of the dress, tried on lots of bridesmaids dresses (and ended up with one that doesn't look "bridesmaidy" at all).  In this situation, every married woman probably flashes back to the day she picked out her own wedding gown.  Whether it was a sundress pulled from the back of our closet or a designer creation, we had a feeling - "This is it." For some of us, it was a confident declaration, and for others of us, it sounded more like, "This is it.  I think.  Right?"

If we were to be completely honest, choosing a husband is no different.  Some of us are confidently sure that he is THE ONE.  While others (a fewer camp, I'm sure) would say, "Honestly, I had a few questions in my mind…"

During all of the preparations that led up to my wedding, people said things like, "Marriage is work,"
 and, "You have to be willing to put in more that you will get in return."  I thought they were crazy, jaded wives who had clearly lost touch of the romance and butterflies that I would surely ALWAYS feel.

But, those old married women?  Yeah.  They were telling the truth.  Marriage is work.  Not work in the sense that your back will be sore, but work in the sense that your mind and heart and soul will be sore at times.

But, for the right one, it's all worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment