Sunday, August 9, 2009

Big


She was peeking up at me with her big brown eyes. Dimples flashing, even bouncing a little as she knelt on the kitchen stool - elbows on the counter - chin in her hands.


As I waited for my mom to answer the phone, I looked across the counter at my daughter. Really looked. I saw her long legs. When did they get so long? Her hands - weren't they miniature yesterday?


Waiting for my mom to answer the phone, I felt a strange, three-generational pull. I found myself fast forwarding to the day when SHE would be the one waiting for ME to answer the phone.


Will we have the kind of friendship my mom and I have? Will she have a little girl looking up at her - watching her every move? I hope so because nothing is more fulfilling than nurturing the relationship between a mother and her child.

No comments:

Post a Comment